Thursday, April 28, 2016

Dear That Low Key Awesome Quiet Kid That Does Not Get Enough Notice

First off, let me apologize. You are an amazing joy in my life and I never tell you that. Most days, I greet you at the door, thinking to myself "I love this kid". I naturally do not tell you this because I come from a family that only showed emotions through gift giving and/or talking to our pets. After seeing you at the door, the rest of the class period is often spent running from That Kid That is Really Needy to That Kid That Thinks I Hate Them to That Kid That Just Wants to Watch the World Burn.
http://www.beheadingboredom.com/mixing-skittles-and-mms-is-the-most-evil-thing-imaginable/


While I am running around doing my best to bring some semblance of greatness to the classroom, you sit coolly in your seat being amazing. You tackle any assignment that comes your way, you read deeply and willingly, and although you'd rather not talk so much when I need you to you drop such nuggets of wisdom that the rest of the class goes silent like we just witnessed the birth of a rainbow. 

And don't get me started on your writing! Every English teacher has that set of essays they set aside to grade as a treat. The ones that are so succinct and golden they are a joy to read even if they are the 40th paper on "The Friar is responsible for the deaths of Romeo and Juliet" you have read that day. Even when your writing doesn't totally sparkle, it still shows a level of care and effort that warms my old teacher-heart. 

I'm not the only one who notices either! Every other student who works in a group with you is always thrilled that they have a useful, engaged partner to help them out. So much better than That Kid That Let's the Rest of the Group Do All the Work. I've read the group member reviews and seen the grades your groups give you. Everyone sees what you do and appreciates it. 



Keep doing what you do, Low Key Awesome Quiet Kid That Does Not Get Enough Notice! We are all witnesses.

5 comments:

  1. I admire your blog and writing skills. I love the subtle personality that shines through. Some people take themselves for granted and forget how noticeable they are to others who see them as who they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a teacher's job to find the greatness in people and show it to them.

      Delete
  2. I love the concept of your blog Mr. Orlopp! I’m actually really glad I read this because I thought of my classmate and your student, Eunice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eunice is totally low key awesome!

      Delete
  3. This the funniest thing I read the nuggets of wisdom was the best part. You have a gift mr Orlopp to make people laugh. Keep up the comedy/ blog post.

    ReplyDelete